Thursday, March 12, 2009

What's in a name?

A rose by any other name is just as sweet. Shakespeare

It's not what they call you, it's what you answer to. I don't remember who said this....

When you think about it, how many people actually go through life with just one given name? Most people have some sort of nickname.

My given name is Kathryn. I went by Katy as a child. My first real job, switched to Kathryn. Around the same time, switched to Kate (for non-work). For my one current job, it's Kathryn -- when I started there was a Cate and a Kathy already. For my other current job, it's Kathryn in my email signature, but around the office, people call me Kat. Basically, I'll answer to any of the above, except Kathy. No offense to any Kathys', but I don't care for the name.
Anyhoo, I had a dentist appointment the other day, and the person who called me back must have been new, because she said Kathy. I gave her an odd look and said that wasn't my name. She said that Kathy was on my chart. So, when I was paying (darn insurance), I mentioned it and we found that the chart had originally said Katy and that someone had changed the t to an h and added a t. Very odd, and nobody there had really looked at my chart. Such is the problem with a dentist and staff that have known you since childhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment